Bill's Comments

I am here to post my useless knowledge and rant on topics. Please join in.

Name:
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada

Sunday, July 16, 2006

CSNY concert and other things

On July 10th, thanks to my parents I was able to see Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young at ACC. I went with my parents and my brother-in-law Darin. I have attended many concerts but this one ranks up with the best concerts I have been too. If I had to rank concerts as best I have been too, the CSNY ranks 3rd behind any U2 concert, and my first Tragically Hip concert. I might be one of the younger CSNY fans but I must admit that even though the entire group is in there 60's they sounded incredible. I grew up on CSNY as my dad listened to them. I can remember many road trips when I was young and CSNY would be on the tape deck. Considering the crap that they call music now, with BS R&B or rap and bands named Chamelionaire, and jokes like Coldplay/and whatever American Idol they have trying to play music it was refreshing to see 4 good guitar players play a 3 hour concert with one 20 minute break. There was no opening band, and the pot smell was flowing by 7:30pm in the ACC and CSNY took the stage and on there first half where they played a lot of there own stuff plus some of Neil Young's new album, which I do like a lot if you can ignore the political slant of his album. The songs are good.

The second half started with an acoustical sound which actually didn't disappoint. One song by Crosby was dull, but then he made up for it with his next acoustic song. When Neil did "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" I was amazed and it only continued. Stephen Stills and David Crosby looked disturbing physically however Crosby's voice and Stills guitar skills were still there. Graham Nash also sounded fantastic. One thing that was apparent though was that Neil Young was the Whole Show. Whether they were jamming at the end of a song, or Neil was playing harmonica, Neil was the centerpiece to the concert. I think Neil Young is one of the best musicians ever, and it showed he is damn good live too.

The only complaint I have is they didn't play "American Dream". Plus I also was able to tune out the political parts which made the concert more enjoyable. I also didn't expect them playing Neil Young's "Keep On Rockin In The Free World", but oh man did it rock. One of the highlights for sure. Just great. I heard that Stills fell on the Tuesday concert during this song, and that would have been tough to watch, as it would have taken him like 30 seconds to tip. Something like the fall my friend Kim took one time, but that's another story.

Other Highlights were Stills/Young acoustic version of "Treetop Pilot":, Graham Nash's "Our House" and "Milky Way tonight", plus "Ohio".

Again thanks Mom and Dad for the tickets!!

On another note I want to congratulate my buddy Brian and his wife Kim (the faller) on the birth of their first child Isabella (Izzy B) Whiten. I was lucky when I was home to see her and thank god she got her looks from Kim..... Just joking. Congrats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home