Bill's Comments

I am here to post my useless knowledge and rant on topics. Please join in.

Name:
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Mexico - What I Like, and Don't Like

I thought I would do a little post on the things I like and don't like about Mexico having now been here for the better part of 3 months.

Top 3

Likes

1. The view while driving to and from work in Queretaro. The view is simply put amazing. Having only been on the coast while being in Mexico before this trip, I never realized that Mexico was home to some of the most beautiful mountain scenery I have ever seen. I drive too and from work and the view calms me down. If i could attach pictures I would. I was able to go to Bernal with my wife last week and the place other then one of my dislikes was amazing. I have also been able to visit San Miguel Allende and believe it or not they speak more English then Spanish. I also have visited Tequisqupan. Another fantastic scenic drive.

2. The culture is very laid back and very friendly. I was a little dumbfounded once when while sitting at a restaurant I saw a man go up to another man and give him a hug and a kiss. They were with other women who looked like there wives however the culture is very touch feely unlike Canada. I thought I was caught in the Gay Pride parade until I realized this was normal greetings for a man to another man.

3. The churches and history of Queretaro are beautiful. It has been told to me that this city was the point where Mexico declared independence from Spain. They have an aquaduct that spans half the city where water was delivered to a church to help the people of Querertaro get water while with war with the Spanish. Apparently the Correigodora which is the street my hotel is on ran from Mexico City to tell everyone that the Spanish were coming to kill the people who were starting the independence movement. This allowed Mexico to declare independence before they were taken out. Anyways all the churches I have visited were made in the 18th and 19th century and are by far the most beautiful churches I have been in. Granted I don't attend church very often. On Sundays here there is mass, and if you feel like it you can go in and attend mass, and get this no collection plate.

Dislikes

1. DRIVING with a godamn capital D. The fact that I have survived 3 months without an accident in Mexico should qualify me to be exempt from ever paying insurance. It is crazy. Roundabouts with no stop signs. Anywhere you are, you can pull a "U". Basically there are no rules to the road. Unlike Canada the pedestrians do not have the right away. Cars go and will not stop for anything. The highway I take to work which has a speed minimum of 100 km/h has people crossing the road, with animals, so you have to break hard to miss them. Buses and trucks swerve all over the place. The downtowns of every city are brick roads with speed bumps the size of a large dog, with no warning there coming up. It's crazy. The other day there was an accident in the southbound lanes which sent 2*4's across the entire northbound lanes. Instead of people going to the shoulder. Theys stopped and started loading up there cars with the wood. No one was even there checking to ensure the driver was alright. It is common place to see sheep and cows sitting on the side of the road with no rope. Very scary.

2. There is the rich and then there is the poor. You think Toronto is bad for begging come to Mexico. When I get to my car in the morning, I am directed out by a person who expects a tip. For what? Showing me how to back out. I am pretty sure I have done it before. Everywhere you park someone will find your car and wait for you to leave to direct you out for a tip. In patio restaurants, little 4 and 5 year olds come up in the restaurant and beg while there mother stands and waits. It's very uncomfortable and to be honest sick. Every traffic light has a dude trying to sell you a piece of paper he made to shield the sun, or a chocolate bar.

3. The sewer system was designed by a bunch of mental midgets. If it rains here, and when it does you get alot, the roads will flood, because they have no sewers on the roads. Being in the mountains the roads are hilly, and the water will collect at the bottom of the hill. This creates some fun as hydroplane is the operative word. And where there are sewers it stinks to high heaven.

Anyways there is my likes and dislikes. I also dislike that I had no idea some of the hockey stuff that happened. Neil Smith and Ted Nolan now on NYI. Tanguay was traded to Calgary. Leafs got Raycroft. I am usually always behind on my sports news. Oh how I miss TSN, and Sportsnet. I can't handle another damn soccer (football) high(low)light.

Hasta Leugo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home